The Advantages & Disadvantages of Batteries with Solar Panels
Considering installing solar panels in your North East home, you might also wonder whether it’s worth investing in a battery to store the excess energy. Here, we’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of getting a battery with solar panels in the North East.
What is a Solar Panel Battery Storage?
A solar panel battery storage system is a device that allows you to store excess electricity generated by your solar panels for use at a later time. This system comprises solar panels that convert sunlight into electricity, a battery bank that stores the excess electricity, and an inverter that converts the stored DC electricity into usable AC electricity for your home.
By storing the excess energy in a battery, you can reduce your reliance on the grid and save money on your electricity bills. Additionally, a solar panel battery storage system can provide backup power during a power outage, allowing you to continue using your electrical appliances and devices.
Advantages of Battery Storage
- Energy independence: By storing your excess solar energy in a battery, you can reduce reliance on the National Grid and the energy companies that supply it. This means you’ll have more control over your energy use and can save money on your electricity bills.
- Increased energy efficiency: If you have a battery, you can use the energy you generate during the day when the sun is shining to power your home at night when there’s no sunlight. This means you won’t have to rely on grid electricity during those hours, which can lead to significant cost savings.
- Backup power: If there’s a power outage in your area, a battery can provide you with a backup power source. This is particularly useful if you rely on electricity for medical reasons or work from home.
Disadvantages of Battery Storage
- Upfront costs: Installing a battery can be expensive, and it might take several years to recoup the initial investment through energy savings.
- Limited lifespan: Batteries have a limited lifespan and will need to be replaced at some point. This can be an additional expense to consider.
- Efficiency losses: The process of storing and releasing energy can result in some energy loss, meaning you won’t be able to capture all the power you generate.
Is It Worth Getting a Battery with Solar Panels in the UK?
Whether or not it’s worth getting a battery with solar panels in the UK depends on your circumstances. If you have high energy consumption and generate a lot of excess energy, a storm could be a good investment as it can help you to maximise the benefits of your solar panels. On the other hand, if you have a low energy consumption or don’t generate much excess energy, the cost of a battery is not worth it.
It’s also worth considering the climate in your area.
We get less sunlight in the UK than in other countries, meaning solar panels may generate less energy than in sunnier locations. This could affect the amount of energy you can store in your battery and therefore impact the cost-effectiveness of the investment.
Should I Install Solar Panels with a Battery?
Getting a battery with solar panels in the North East can be a good investment in certain circumstances. It can provide energy independence, increased energy efficiency, and backup power. However, weighing up the upfront costs, limited lifespan and efficiency losses against the potential benefits is essential to determine whether it’s worth it.
Are There Any Financial Schemes?
It is also important to note that the UK government offers various incentives and schemes to promote solar energy and battery storage. For example, the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG) ensures that households with solar panels receive a payment for excess electricity they export to the grid.
Additionally, the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) provides financial support for homeowners who install renewable heating systems, including solar panels and battery storage. These schemes offset some of the upfront costs of installing a battery and make the investment more attractive for those considering solar panels and battery storage.
For More Advice, Contact Swish Home Improvements
Getting a battery with your solar panel installation can be a great investment. Ultimately, it comes down to cost versus benefit for the property – depending on where you live and whether or not you use more electricity at night will determine if it’s worth it.
Consider the size of your solar PV system, the amount of power you use daily, and what types of incentives your area offers. If installing a battery with your solar panels is a good investment and you are ready to take the next step, contact Swish Home Improvements today to discuss your options and get started on your new project!
We can provide an expert opinion on what kind of installation is right for your North East home and help you find promising alternatives. Get ready to start harvesting energy and saving money – there’s never been a better time than now!
Ready to find out more?
Drop us a line today for a free quote!